Thursday, March 15, 2012

One more on the Confederate Battle Flag

This one is just off the top of my head.
I had a short conversation with a gentleman yesterday that was wearing a Sons of Confederate Veterans ball cap. I mentioned that I liked his cap and he immediately went on the defensive, calmly and politely mind you, and stated that it was not about race and their logo was not a racist symbol. I was surprised, in a way, at the speed that it came out. I assured him that I understood the CBF and was not faulting him in any shape, form, or fashion. Heck, in my younger days I have been known to sport the CBF on a ball cap, licence plate or window decal on the truck. And like him I never intended it to be a racist slam on anyone.

In todays world however someone is always going to take it as thus and will never see the "Sons of Confederate Veterans" embroidered around the flag.

It set me to thinking.

It seems to me the organization needs to change their logo in an effort to enhance and clarify their public image. The CBF has outlived its welcome in this country, rightly or wrongly, and it will evermore be seen as racist, no matter where it flys or who flies it. If the SCV changed its banner it might be helpful in attempts at successful and meaningful dialogue with folks like those in Lexington, Virginia or in Texas. It is food for thought. Sometimes we need to "go along to get along".

The battle flag of the Confederacy was furled and cased in 1865 and should have remained that way, but someone turned it into the hateful (in the eyes of many) thing that it is today. There is but one flag for this country and it is this one:


But then again, living under that flag it gives us the right to fly this one:



So if everyone would dismount their high horses, we would get along much better.

Anyway, once we got past the CBF, he told me of his ancestors. Seems his two GGGranddads rode with Morgan. His family tradition said that the only reason they rode with him was that they were afraid of Forrest!  Ain't that a hoot?!

The Picket

2 comments:

  1. It always stirs emotions and debate, and I don't see that ever changing. I must say, there is a time and place to fly the CBF, however some don't want to see it flying anywhere at anytime. More people would benefit with some education on the matter. I am of the firm belief, that it was ALL soldiers, blue and gray that helped make this nation what it is. Each side brought forth their ideals, beliefs and regional cultures and they should not be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete